Our 3-6 year old program is designed to give your kids an advantage in coordination, listening, and learning.
The number one rule when working with children of this age is STRUCTURE. Our youngest students perform best when the know what to expect, and have absolute consistency.
The tool we use to help children with their listening and focusing comes from the marvelous book: 1,2,3, Magic, by Thomas W. Phelan PHD. (Modified of course to work in our classroom). While the system we use is very simple - it is also very powerful and can be brought into your home life as well.
Here are our simple rules:
- When there is an inappropriate behavior there will be little or no emotion and attention given.
If there is an inappropriate behavior we will say: “That’s one”
Another inappropriate behavior and we say: “That’s two”
A third violation and: “That’s three”.
If a child gets to “three” then they simply do not get a prize at the end of class. (Parents who use the system at home use a “three” as the sign that a child must go to a time out for a short period - usually 1 minute per year of age.)
We do give lots of emotion and attention to positive behaviors!
To get the most from your child’s program do everything you can to bring them to class with consistency, on time, and on the same days each week. (Of course we have lots of classes available if for some reason a particular day doesn't work out for one reason or another) But if you will try and consistently bring your child on regular days, you will be amazed at the results over time.
The goal of our program is to get your child to Tiger Orange belt - In many cases at that point they might even be ready to move on to the next age group.
Tiger Rank Requirements (Age 3-6)
- White Velcro: Children will be tested on knowing their Left from Right, Jab and Cross (approximately 25 classes)
- Yellow Velcro Stripes: Children will be tested on Hammer Fist, Front Kick, and everything above. (approximately 50 classes)
- Orange Velcro Stripes: Children will be tested on Knife Hand, Palm Strike, and everything above. (approximately 75 classes)
We know that your child is ready to move up to the next group (our Dragon’s) when we begin to notice some of the following:
- A child has attended approximately 100 classes
- A child has successfully tested for Tiger orange belt
- When a child continues to follow the structure and system even when other children may be misbehaving around them
- When a child responds quickly to the requests of the teacher consistently
- When a child can control their body enough to not run into other children when lining up or playing
- Tiger students must have a minimum of 25 classes (and usually have many more before) between each belt test.
We will be closely monitoring your child as they attend class, and when we see a little one who has looks like they are ready we will pull them aside and help you register them for a rank test. When your child passes from white, to yellow, and finally orange, they may be soon ready to move on the the next group. (Dragons).
It takes time
Most of the growth in our happen on its own. The structure of the classroom on its own is what will cause the changes you want in your child. For some children this can take a year or more, for others less time, but ALL kids in our Tigers class eventually catch on. Please be patient with your child, and remember as long as they are having fun and attending regularly they WILL get the focus you and high self esteem you want.
The results your child will get is without question the best investment of time and money you could ever make. Because of your patience, time, and investment, your child will have countless opportunities to excel in life.